Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
Some things you might not know about Dr. Seuss:
1. His name really was Seuss! His middle name, that is. Theodor Seuss Geisel – Seuss had been his mother’s maiden name. All his grandparents were German immigrants.
2. He began using Seuss as a pen name when he was caught drinking gin at Dartmouth College and was subsequently banned from extra-curricular activities, including writing for the college’s humor magazine.
3. He really isn’t a doctor … but he almost was. He entered Lincoln College, Oxford, to study English literature. He left with a wife instead of a Ph.D.
4. He published cartoons in the Saturday Evening Post (under the name Seuss) and supported his family during the Depression by working in advertising.
5. The first children’s book he wrote, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, was rejected for publication around 27 times (reports vary on the exact number of times).
6. During World War II, Seuss drew over 400 political cartoons for the politically left New York City newspaper PM. After the war he began writing children’s books again.
7. Though his pen name is generally pronounced SOOS, the correct pronunciation in German is actually SOYSS.
Dr. Seuss One Fish Two Fish Light Cyan T-shirt Tee
Remember if you click on any t-shirt, you can choose the style, color, and size you want, for infants to adults!